Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I am writing this whislt feeling slightly upset. I am slightly upset as Johnny Borrell, charismatic front man of top pop band Razorlight, has turned into a bit of a c**k.

I do not write this easily. Up until about 3 weeks ago, I may well have been the Borrell's biggest fan. I liked his arrogance and self assurance, and it didn't harm the fact that Up All Night may well be one of the best albums of the last five years, conjuring up images of dirty London, drunken summer nights and lazy days. It was an album that had no fillers, was full of catchy tunes and was generally very very good. In contraat, the new album is a bit dull. I may well be the only Razorlight fan on the planet that doesn't think its as good as UAN, but there you go. It's not. It a bit formulaic, not very interesting and there's a couple of outstanding songs, but the energy and exuberance (as well as the sexiness) is gone.

I really can't understand why critics loved it, and I feel that Mr Borrell is believing his own hype, which is making him look like an idiot. His antics at SXSW prove that. He has got it into his head that he is the best thing since the Beatles, and is acting like a jumoed-up Mick Jagger wannbe, but nowhere near as cool. He may even find that he ends up alienating all the people who were once fans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home